Re: spam

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 01:36:09PM -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:

> There is also existent proof that filtering is only "mostly" successful at
> even its limited role. There are plenty of problems with false positives,
> delayed positives, and so forth, which cumulative conspire to make this
> approach less than functional as anything but a stop-gap measure. In that
> regard, filtering is analogous to defining ~delayed defeat as victory.

I find filtering quite productive.  I use a free Unix gateway system developed
here called MailScanner (www.mailscanner.info) which brings together many
different anti-spam methods and does anti-virus.   Since Sugust 2002 it's
filtered out 8,700 spams for me, and 570 virii, with only two false positives.
Sure, it misses a few, but 8,700 deletions would have taken me a while...

Tim