Re[2]: My thoughts on local-use addresses

On Thu, 1 May 2003 11:25:24 -0400 "J. Noel Chiappa" <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>     > Have any of you looked at the actual marketing copy that sells real
>     > people on why they might want to pay real money for a NAT box? It
> might
>     > be instructive.

> You really expect the marketing department to have clue? :-)

no one expects the marketing department to have even been in the same
room as a clue.

but you're misunderstanding his point. the consumers buying the product
read the box and a significant percentage of them are foolish enough to
believe what the box tells them. one of the big selling points in the
on-box marketing gibberish are foolish claims that NAT is a security
device, and some devices actually claim to be firewalls even though the
only thing that passes for security in them is the port NAT.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net