RE: TCPng/ multiple addresses per node (was Re: A follow up question)_

Hi Alain,

I agree with your intro (which I clipped to save space), one
comment that I have is:

> There is a proposal to create an API to enable the
> application creating the socket to specify some of the
> properties that it desires/requires. This is a step in the right
> direction, but I'm not convinced this can go far enough.
> So I fully support this idea of lifting the ban on TCPng
> (or any transport layer for that matter) to de-couple
> the abstraction needed by applications to the one required
> by the network. This is in fact introducing some of the semantic
> of a session layer between the application and the network.
> Can this be done at the transport layer in the form of TCPng
> or does this require and actual additional session layer?
> I'm not sure at this point in time.

There already something like this, I'm sure you know - SCTP.
I'm actually not trying to promote SCTP, but it might be interesting,
as we have an RFC that does most of the avove, to look at it
critically & see how it performs.

SCTP, as a background, uses sets of addresses/ports to identify a
node. In the usual case, one node will pass all of its addresses(& ports)
to its peer & the peer returns its addresses (&ports) for SCTP
traffic.  The application has the the option to choose the primary
address to be used.

Right now, SCTP has limited users (Diameter, SIGTRAN and probably a couple
of other protocols).  It would be interesting to see that others
can do with it.

John