Re: A simple question

> The rhetoric would have us believe that frequent renumbering with IPv6
> is seamless and effortless. I don't personally buy that, but there are
> some assumptions there that perhaps should be challenged more directly
> rather than in this oblique fashion.

yesterday we had to change an AAAA RR and PTR RR because one of our
servers got a new GigE interface to replace the old FastE.  no part
of ipv6 renumbers seamlessly, from where i sit.

> If we accept the premise that frequent renumbering in IPv6 is not
> seamless and is in fact painful and worth avoiding, then rather than
> hiding the source of the pain behind a NAT perhaps we should try to
> eliminate it: find a mechanism which facilitates pervasive multi-homing
> with some stable view of layer-3 addressing from the layer above,
> across re-homing events.

we did.  it was called A6.  now we're apparently on to something else,
like for example nothing, or for example pretending it's not a problem
after all.
--
Paul Vixie