Re: Architectural Considerations section in specs

At 4/22/2003:09:56 AM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

Hi Spencer,

Yes, you are right that inviting people to "develop
clue" before involving the IESG would be more scalable
(or at least it would reduce the workload in terms of
submitted documents! :-).  But I am doubtful about the
results of such an approach in terms of near-term quality
and productivity (e.g., "re-work" by some reviewing
body).

My own initial view was that *review* (and possible
revision) of such an "Architecture Considerations"
section should be done by the IAB.  I realize that
suggestion might be impractical from organizational
and/or procedural aspects that I am unfamiliar with
or have not fully considered.  But I was expecting
we'd need more "top down" control in this area...at
least in the beginning.

Speaking as a member of the hoi polloi, I am often
dismayed at how much I *don't* know about Internet-
wide architecture (e.g., mobile IP implications,
internationalization considerations, multi-media
transfer protocols, etc.) when thinking about the
*few* things I do understand a bit. :-(  On the
positive side, I comfort myself with the thought
that no *one* person knows it all...and am thankful
that groups like the IAB and IESG are out there
to protect the 'net from me!  :-)

Cheers,

BobN