Re: A simple question

Thus spake "Keith Moore" <moore@cs.utk.edu>
> > Nothing of the kind.   1918 addresses were created because there
> > was demonstrated demand for stable local use only addressing.
>
> 1918 addresses were created because there was a need for isolated
> networks to be able to get address space, and having them pick space
> at random was believed to be problematic.

Perhaps that's why we allocated those addresses, but that's not the most
common usage anymore; IP networks not connected to the Internet have become
vanishingly rare.

Today, sizeable numbers -- perhaps even the majority -- of residential
broadband and corporate users sit in RFC1918 space behind NATs.  This is not
a small mess you can wipe under the carpet and ignore.