Re: Unified RFC Protocol...

Friday, August 02, 2002, 12:55:24 AM, you wrote:

TJH> Attached is the first Internet Draft of the Unified RFC Protocol.  IETF 54
TJH> is long over and the mailing lists need something else to talk about...so
TJH> here is something to discuss.

  General purpose of your draft is quite clear for me. Many protocols
  can be presented as remote procedure call (RPC) and can be unified.
  But historically all protocols are different. Alteration of STD or
  BCP protocols or something settled long time ago (FTP, SMTP, POP3,
  HTTP etc.) is not possible at all, since it will demand of
  alteration of all software, (servers and operational systems).
  But unification of new protocols is good task if purpose of those
  protocols is exactly RPC. Necessity of such RPC standard frequently
  feels applied software developers. They use either RPC protocols
  from large corporations (as SOAP or DCOM) or develop something
  non-standard. Corporate standards frequently are not open.
  Certainly, it would be great to see unified standard of RPC in
  the near future. Probably, it is preferably to create new working
  group in IETF to develop such protocol. SOAP is based on XML
  (markup language) and does not approach for those purposes. It
  can be usable only to interaction between Web application through
  HTTP, but nowise to be RPC standard. However, main idea of SOAP is
  very useful. Parameters and results of RPC calls can be structurally
  complex objects constructed in hierarchy. Since 1999-2000 RIST
  (research institute of system technologies, Ukraine, Kiev) developed
  such protocol (USP - Universal Service Protocol). We use it for
  communication with Object-Oriented database server (UOD) and for
  other tasks where object transmission and RPC is needed. The fourth
  version of USP specification is available here:
  http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shemsedinov-usp-03.txt.
  I understand that it is still rather crude, since it lags behind
  the real project. I think, if you will read this document, you
  will found in it many things for solving such problems as in
  your project.

--
Best regards,
 Timur                            mailto:Timur@niist.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua