Re: Unified RFC Protocol...

On 8/1/02, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

>Attached is the first Internet Draft of the Unified RFC
>Protocol.  IETF 54 is long over and the mailing lists need
>something else to talk about...so here is something to
>discuss.
>
>The IETF Secretariat should note that Shining Light
>Productions has implemented the Unified RFC Protocol into
>the ProtoNova Web Server providing standardized remote
>module support for the server.  The IETF Secretariat
>should also note that the Unified RFC Protocol is not
>necessarily a lock-step protocol (like SMTP, POP3, and
>other protocols), although the document is written in such
>a fashion.
>
>The ProtoNova Web Server is available as a Shining Light
>Productions commercial product and people are already
>using the server given that it has only been 24 hours
>since its release.  As such, the ProtoNova Web Server
>demonstrates that the Unified RFC Protocol is a viable
>communication protocol for generic data transfer and data
>packaging purposes as well as a potential replacement
>protocol for ailing, ancient, and insecure protocols.
>
>While the document I am submitting is probably not 100%
>perfect, it should be close enough for accepting it as a
>first draft.

There is indeed a wealth of simplification that could be
accomplished with many of the common internet application
layer protocols.

However this is not the time to fix those problems. No true
simplification will result. Every new client would have to
be compatible with old and new servers. Every new server
would have to be compatible with old and new clients.

No matter how elegant the new protocol was defined,
implementations would still be additional logic, new cases
for network monitors to learn, additional test cases and
additional points of failure.

The appropriate time to consider consolidation of
application layer protocols might be when client and server
changes would be required anyway. When the Remote Direct
Data Placement (RDDP) work is completed it might be worth
considering a consolidation for the RDDP-optimized versions
of the applications this proposal cites.

Because of the indefinite transition problems, a mere
cleanup will only add logic, not subtract it. Combining a
consolidation with the work to standardize application
specific use of RDDP capabilities would be a different
matter.