Re: automated "disambiguation" is resolution in this case

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:46:47 PDT, Ed Gerck said:
>
> > The IP address of the root server is part of any name today, and it resides
> > in your browser.  To contrast, what I said does not have the IP address
>
> Odd.. There's no mention of the root server in my copy of Mozilla. There's no
> mention of the root server in my /etc/resolv.conf. Given my firewall rules, if
> a packet arrived from a root server, it would be thrown on the floor.
>
> Obviously Ed's understanding of DNS as it actually works, and my machine's
> understanding of it, are wildly divergent.  Fortunately for my productivity,
> one of them actually works.

First, thank you for the opportunity to correct myself. I should have written:

"The IP address of the root server is part of any name today, and it resides
in your computer. "

Now, when your browser takes a DNS name and sends it for resolution, the
result actually depends on your browser.  If you use NS 4.7, for example,
and try www.valdis.klet you most probably will NOT get a PAGE NOT FOUND.
You will get a page that has to with some of your internal browser settings,
with no warning whatosoever.  Now, if you type www.valdis.klet/page.htm
you will probably get 404 PAGE NOT FOUND.  The choices are all made
for you, nice no?  It may be relevant, though, that they are actually the wrong
choices.

> There *is* a mention in resolv.conf of 3 or 4 IP addresses that are willing
> to do recursive DNS lookups for me if I ask nicely.  This implies that in
> normal day-to-day operation, I' stuck with whatever THEIR concept of 'root'
> is.

Yes. The choice has been made for you -- just like that Netscape choice above.

> Fortunately for myself, if those IP addresses get confused, I have the
> technical skill to work around it, and the political clout to go down
> the hall and say "Umm... Laurie?  Phil?  Carl? What are you guys up to?"
>
> Of course, 99.998% of users are NOT in that position, and we need to
> keep that in mind.

Yes, that is why my suggestion was for a meta-system to the DNS, which
can be chosen by the user (unlike NS and your root server hints in the
resolver) and that automatically disambiguates names -- or asks the
user to do so (if and how the user so desires).

Cheers,
Ed Gerck