Re: Trees have one root

At 08:53 AM 7/30/2002 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:
>There is no question that the best way to silence the bulk of the valid
>criticism would be to make ICANN an administrative function instead of a
>policy function. IOW, they should be handing out TLDs, rather than
>deciding which TLDs are handed out.

ICANN has managed to limit itself to policy issues that are essential for
doing that administration.  (Whether the specific choices of policy have
been the right one is not my point.  Scope is my point.)  All of those
policy topics have derived from real and pressing issues that directly
effect stability and utility of the DNS.

So if ICANN does not do that policy work, who does?  And why is it somehow
better to have that work done elsewhere?

The challenge, here, is to move beyond a rhetoric of theories and pay
attention to the pragmatics.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850