RE: how to take minutes

I agree with Pekka and Scott.  When I was chairing an active working group,
I put significant effort into collecting detailed minutes so as to record
the meeting discussions, not just the results.  In response, I often
received positive comments from WG participants (both attendees and
non-attendees) stating that they found the extended descriptions useful;
this suggests to me that the effort was well spent.  In particular, I think
that distributing extended minutes helps to enfranchise those who aren't
present in person, and that it's an effective vehicle to trigger e-mail
discussion to clarify issues that different attendees understood
differently. It's useful to preface more detailed minutes with a shorter
summary, but I don't believe that this is a preferable replacement for a
full-scale meeting record.

--jl