Re: Last Call: Internationalizing Domain Names In Applications (IDNA) to Proposed Standard

At 01:15 PM 7/16/02 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> > Something else that makes me feel very uneasy about the current draft is
> > the way it defines what constitutes a valid IDN in terms of algorithms
> > described in two separate documents.  This feels to me like putting the
> > cart before the horse:  I think this (i.e. what constitutes a valid IDN) is
> > a fundamental idea which needs a crisp, easily understood description so
> > that (for example) any future developments to embed IDNs directly into DNS
> > don't get lumbered with legacy ACE code simply to determine what is a valid
> > IDN.
>
>actually for the sake of backward compatibility it will probably be
>necessary to restrict "native" IDNs to the set that than be encoded in ACE.
>so defining valid IDNs in terms of ACE actually makes some sense.

I accept that going forward, IDNs should probably be a subset of names
supported by ACE.  I didn't mean to say they should be a superset.

My comment was aimed at the way the allowed form is specified with
reference to the ACE algorithms.  I think it should be possible to define a
reasonably simple free-standing description of what constitutes an IDN (to
be simple, such a description may have to be slightly more restrictive than
that allowed by the ACE algorithm).

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>