Re: AD review: draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-rtt-option-03

Larry,

Probably I should have said "correct" or "common". Nevertheless, you are wrong; technical writing is itself an idiom ("the language peculiar to a people or to a district, community, or class").

Eddie

On 3/4/11 7:41 AM, L.Wood@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
idiomatic text should be avoided in technical writing.

-----Original Message-----
From: dccp-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:dccp-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Eddie Kohler
Sent: 04 March 2011 15:27
To: Gerrit Renker
Cc: dccp@xxxxxxxx group
Subject: Re:  AD review: draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-rtt-option-03

Hi Gerrit,

Lars is right, "cannot" is far more idiomatic, in written or
spoken text.

http://www.drgrammar.org/frequently-asked-questions#30
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/cannot.html

Eddie

On 3/4/11 3:54 AM, Gerrit Renker wrote:
Lars, -
|>      than 4 can not be determined: such samples have to
be discarded.

|   Nit: s/can not/cannot/

I would like to ask if we could keep it as it is, the
suggestion confuses me:
can is a verb, not the negation, cannot is spoken language, the
document is written text. I actually replace everywhere I
see this the
other way around, since I read somewhere that cannot in
written text
is not considered good style. If you can give a rule for
the above, I
am willing to be educated on the matter.