Re: draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap - revised guidance on IANA-assigned port usage

Hi Gorry, I think the intention is for this:

On 03/02/2011 12:37 PM, Gorry Fairhurst wrote:
NEW:

A DCCP-UDP server (that is, an initially passive endpoint that wishes to
receive DCCP-Request packets [RFC4340] over DCCP-UDP) listens for connections
on one or more UDP ports. UDP port number XXX IANA PORT XXX has been reserved
as the default listening UDP port for a DCCP-UDP server. Some NAT/NAPT
topologies may require using a non-default listening port.

The purpose of this IANA-assigned port is for the operating system or a
framework to receive and process DCCP-UDP datagrams for delivery to the DCCP
module. Because of this, the IANA-assigned port SHOULD NOT be used as a
Destination UDP Port by a DCCP-UDP server

Change this last sentence (which is just wrong, servers don't choose destination ports) to "Because of this, non-framework DCCP-UDP applications SHOULD NOT reserve the IANA-assigned UDP port for listening." Delete the rest of the paragraph I think.

listening for incoming DCCP-UDP
packets, and SHOULD NOT be used by as a Source UDP Port by a client
application sending DCCP-UDP packets.

A DCCP-UDP client provides UDP source and destination ports as well as DCCP
source and destination ports at connection initiation time....

----

I'll submit an updated revision after feedback on the other RTP/SDP points.

Gorry