draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap - revised guidance on IANA-assigned port usage

Dan Wing and I have been discussing his comments and I think we now have text for most of the transport-related points. In discussing the use of ports, the following revised text was suggested.

OLD:

3.8.  Usage of the UDP port by DCCP-UDP

A DCCP-UDP server (that is, an initially passive endpoint that wishes
to receive DCCP-Request packets [RFC4340] over DCCP-UDP) listens for
connections on one or more UDP ports.  UDP port number XXX IANA PORT
XXX has been reserved as the default listening UDP port for DCCP-UDP
connections.  Some NAT/NAPT topologies may require using a non-
default listening port.

A DCCP-UDP client provides UDP source and destination ports as well as DCCP source and destination ports at connection initiation time....

---

NEW:

A DCCP-UDP server (that is, an initially passive endpoint that wishes to receive DCCP-Request packets [RFC4340] over DCCP-UDP) listens for connections on one or more UDP ports. UDP port number XXX IANA PORT XXX has been reserved as the default listening UDP port for a DCCP-UDP server. Some NAT/NAPT topologies may require using a non-default listening port.

The purpose of this IANA-assigned port is for the operating system or a framework to receive and process DCCP-UDP datagrams for delivery to the DCCP module. Because of this, the IANA-assigned port SHOULD NOT be used as a Destination UDP Port by a DCCP-UDP server listening for incoming DCCP-UDP packets, and SHOULD NOT be used by as a Source UDP Port by a client application sending DCCP-UDP packets.

A DCCP-UDP client provides UDP source and destination ports as well as DCCP source and destination ports at connection initiation time....

----

I'll submit an updated revision after feedback on the other RTP/SDP points.

Gorry