Re: ThinkVantage key on ThinkPad X61

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008, Ben Liblit wrote:
> ThinkPads have an extra blue key that has been labeled ThinkPad, Access
> IBM, or ThinkVantage over the years:
> <http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Button>.  On my ThinkPad X61,
> this key does not generate any useful behavior by default, and does not
> even generate X KeyPress events that I might bind as a shortcut of my
> choosing.  xev reports nothing whatsoever when I press this key.

Actually, since you *are* using the latest thinkpad-acpi, it *does* generate
events by default.  And it enables by default all hotkeys you should be
messing with, as well :-p

You will get both ACPI events (deprecated), and also the KEY_VENDOR EV_KEY
event on the input event device created by thinkpad-acpi.

I think you just need to tell X.org to add the thinkpad-acpi event device as
a keyboard, and things should work.  I have this in my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"ThinkPad hot keys"
	Driver		"evdev"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Name"			"ThinkPad Extra Buttons"
EndSection

And, provided that your evdev driver is NOT BUGGY, it will work.

> I asked about this on the HAL mailing list, and Danny Kukawka expressed
> the opinion that this is something thinkpad_acpi should handle on its
> own, without help from hald:

It does handle it on its own, without help from HAL.  But you need to
configure X.org to use it.  Please add that information to thinkwiki :)

  Henrique Holschuh