ThinkVantage key on ThinkPad X61

ThinkPads have an extra blue key that has been labeled ThinkPad, Access
IBM, or ThinkVantage over the years:
<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Button>.  On my ThinkPad X61,
this key does not generate any useful behavior by default, and does not
even generate X KeyPress events that I might bind as a shortcut of my
choosing.  xev reports nothing whatsoever when I press this key.
However, hald is definitely noticing the event; when running in verbose
it prints:

     addon-acpi.c:189: event is 'ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001018'

I can also see this event by running acpi_listen if acpid is running.

I asked about this on the HAL mailing list, and Danny Kukawka expressed
the opinion that this is something thinkpad_acpi should handle on its
own, without help from hald:

Danny Kukawka wrote:
> The event isn't currently handled by the addon, and I'm not sure if we really
> want to add them, since this part of the code (IBM ThinkPad ACPI key events)
> was planed to get removed sooner or later.
>
> Did you load thinkpad_acpi ? IMO this driver should handle the extra keys of
> the thinkpads and send them through some /dev/input/* device (at least since
> 2007-07-22). If not, you may should check and report to the kernel ppl.

So, what's the response from the thinkpad_acpi side?  Is this something
that thinkpad_acpi should already be handling, and therefore I'm seeing
a thinkpad_acpi bug or perhaps a local configuration error?  Is this
something it doesn't handle yet, but you agree that it should?  Or do
you want to push back and convince the HAL people that this is hald's
responsibility?

My software environment:

      base distro:    Fedora 8
      Linux kernel:   2.6.23.9-85.fc8