Re: ThinkVantage key on ThinkPad X61

On 1/2/08, Ben Liblit <liblit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ThinkPads have an extra blue key that has been labeled ThinkPad, Access
> IBM, or ThinkVantage over the years:
> <http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Button>.  On my ThinkPad X61,
> this key does not generate any useful behavior by default, and does not
> even generate X KeyPress events that I might bind as a shortcut of my
> choosing.  xev reports nothing whatsoever when I press this key.
> However, hald is definitely noticing the event; when running in verbose
> it prints:
>
>      addon-acpi.c:189: event is 'ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001018'
>
> I can also see this event by running acpi_listen if acpid is running.

The behavior of this key is controllable from sysfs.  See the
thinkpad-acpi documentation, section "Hot Keys".

The short answer is that you can change the key so that it is reported
throught the input subsystem.  Once that's done, you can tell the
input subsystem to map it to a key of your choosing; for example, I
map it to KEY_HELP, so that it brings up the GNOME help program.