Re: ThinkVantage key on ThinkPad X61

On 1/3/08, Ben Liblit <liblit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris Hanson wrote:
> > Once that's done, you can tell the input subsystem to map it to a key
> > of your choosing; for example, I map it to KEY_HELP, so that it
> > brings up the GNOME help program.
>
> Chris, can you clarify how I'd do this part?  Even though I still don't
> know the right key mask, I tried "cat hotkey_all_mask >hotkey_mask" to
> pull everything possible into the input system.  But "xev" still shows
> no KeyPress events under X, so presumably there's still something else I
> need to do.

You need to use the input subsystem utilities (specifically,
input-kbd) to map the scan codes to particular keys.  (There's a list
of defined keys in "/usr/include/linux/input.h".)  To give you an idea
of how to do this, I've attached the shell script that I use for
initializing my machine.  It's got some unrelated stuff, but performs
all the initialization of the thinkpad key mapping.  I've also
attached the keyboard map that I use.  Together these should give you
an idea what to do, provided you can read shell script.

I wish this was simpler, but there are still some rough edges.  At
least it's possible to get useful behavior, even if it requires a bit
of bit-twiddling.

PS: Many thanks to Henrique for implementing the input features in
thinkpad-acpi, nicely documenting it, and answering my questions as I
was figuring this out.