Re: patch to add readonly support for T60 wireless killswitch

Ok.  Please clean up the driver and repost.

I will not merge it yet.  It needs a sysfs interface, as the procfs
interface will *NOT* be extended.  However, it is useful for those who need
the functionality as is.

Mind you, as soon as we have a proper way to do it, I will merge your
driver.  The functionality has been accepted, it is just the userland
interface that needs to be defined now.  If the procfs interface was not
under a strict "don't extend it" policy, I would merge it.  But it is under
a strict "don't extend it" policy (ACPI is going sysfs in 2.6.21), and
upstream would likely not merge it anyway, even if I accepted the patch.

As for sysfs, it is time to decide how it should be done.  The last-resort
way is to add it as a ibm-acpi specific attribute.  The best possible way is
to find an already available subsystem that it would fit, and add it there.

We can:
	1. add it as a hotkey event.  Not a very good idea, because Lenovo
	   might do something in the future that is incompatible.  Requires
	   polling.

	2. add it as an input device.  Other ibm-acpi stuff might map to
	   it too, like the beeps, and even hotkey (there is no reason why
	   hotkeys should be ACPI events).  Requires polling.

	3. add it as an ibm-acpi specific attribute. Requires polling from
	   userspace to notice changes.

(1) allows the merge because it gets into the ACPI notification chain for
hotkey, so there is no procfs extension.  But I *don't* like it, it is not
the best way, it just piggy-backs on something I want to change.

I don't mind adding a polling thread to ibm-acpi, it looks a lot of stuff
might need it anyway, and I have other uses for it too like monitoring the
fan.  But the polling frequency will not be higher than 1Hz, and I am not
friendly to the idea of adding anything to that loop that we can't detect
when it is not being used.  And hotkeys don't let you know if someone is
interested on them or not.

Any other ideas of how the physical radio-off switch, and the hotkeys could
be added to the linux device model and sysfs?

  Henrique Holschuh