Re: udev fork

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 03:56:33PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>
> >What dependencies?  Run time?  Build time?  And why are dependencies
> >bad?  Do you have no ram in your system for them?
>
> The configure scripts require packages that are not in LFS.

Like what?  Can't you add them?

> We do not want to add them just to satisfy a systemd build that we
> don't want. However creating a custom Makefile to build udev from the
> current systemd sources was not particularly hard.

So you don't offer systemd to any LFS user either?

> >Personally, I think running a Linux system without systemd is a deadend,
> >but hey, what do I know about these things?  :)
>
> I understand that big distros only want to support one methodology,

No, that's not why they are switching to systemd.

> but in my opinion systemd is a solution only needed by a very small
> percentage of users.

I don't think you really understand what systemd offers.  I don't know
anyone who has used it that has wanted to switch back.  Also, it solves
numerous problems that people have been having for years.  And further,
it's becoming a requirement for large industry groups that use Linux,
because they too want what it offers.

That's not to say you don't want it, that's fine, I understand, but to
deride it by saying only a small number of users want it is
disingenuous.

> It is quite opaque for new users trying to understand the boot
> process.

The 100+ man pages are not descriptive enough? :)

> We don't use an initrd for the same reason.

That's fine, but then how do you support a separate /usr partition?  And
handle kernels built for a wide range of systems?

> The nice thing about Linux is that one size does not have to fit all.

Sure, and that's fine.  But I think you are shortchanging your users
here.  Again, just my opinion.  Best of luck,

greg k-h