Re: systemd-183

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I can say that there are several packages currently required by configure
>> that are not needed by a udev only build:  intltool, XML::Parser, libpcap2,
>> attr, usbutils, libusb, pciutils, and dbus.
>
> Regarding usbutils and pciutils: these are not needed at compile-time
> if you pass in the correct configure switch to set the {pci,usb}ids
> path.
>
> The {pci,usb}ids databases are however needed by udev on runtime and
> they are traditionally shipped with {usb,pci}utils, so that's
> something to keep in mind.
>
> On Arch (as well as on Gentoo), we deal with this by shipping the
> databases in a separate package[0], and dropping the dependency on
> {pci,usb}utils. Maybe that's something other's would benefit from too.

It's probably not worth to put too much effort into it. We are about
to make a more generic query-able hardware database with pre-compiled
efficient lookup interfaces. It will provide additional key/value
pairs that further classify devices we care about. All this will go
far beyond the human readable strings the ids files provide.

Just saying, pretty soon, the ids files will no longer directly read
by udev. We will see how all that will look like when we get there.

Kay