Re: systemd-183

William Hubbs wrote:
Hi Kay,

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 01:34:11PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
We support stand-alone *operation* of the udev tools, but the build
system does not support a stand-alone *build*. The systemd tree needs
to be built and udev picked out of it.

There are also several other generally useful tools in the built tree,
which you might need too over time, like tmpfiles, module-load,
sysconf, binfmt,  ... A couple of D-Bus services to manage system
settings from the desktop.

Various upstream tools start to install config files or use these
interfaces. It might be the simplest to install them too, even when
systemd is not used.

I understand that folks might want these tools, but I don't want to
install the ones that udev doesn't need as part of the udev package. I
am also concerned about libcap and dbus being hard requirements of the
udev build process.

If udev, or the tools that it needs, like tmpfiles, requires these
libraries, that is one thing, otherwise I really do not want
to make them dependencies of the udev package. The issue is that in
gentoo, since we are source based, I would have to require all of our
users to install dbus and libcap just to build udev.

The Linux From Scratch community has the same problem. We are working on this in two ways.

1. I've developed a make.sh script and an install.sh script to build, link, and install udev from the systemd sources bypassing the autotools environment completely. This is not desirable, but it gets the job done and is a proof of concept.

2. We are working to modify configure.ac and Makefile.in to do the right thing. That may take a little more time.

I can say that there are several packages currently required by configure that are not needed by a udev only build: intltool, XML::Parser, libpcap2, attr, usbutils, libusb, pciutils, and dbus.

The common/systemd files needed for the udev applications are:

src/shared:
log.c label.c mkdir.c cgroup-util.c strv.c path-util.c conf-files.c
hashmap.c set.c exit-status.c util.c dev-setup.c

src/libsystemd-daemon:
sd-daemon.c

src/login:
sd-login.c

If those files are built and put into a separate library, it would make the rest of a udev only build much more straight forward.

I'll get back to this list when we have more progress.

  -- Bruce