Re: systemd-183

Hi Kay,

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 01:34:11PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> We support stand-alone *operation* of the udev tools, but the build
> system does not support a stand-alone *build*. The systemd tree needs
> to be built and udev picked out of it.
>
> There are also several other generally useful tools in the built tree,
> which you might need too over time, like tmpfiles, module-load,
> sysconf, binfmt,  ... A couple of D-Bus services to manage system
> settings from the desktop.
>
> Various upstream tools start to install config files or use these
> interfaces. It might be the simplest to install them too, even when
> systemd is not used.

I understand that folks might want these tools, but I don't want to
install the ones that udev doesn't need as part of the udev package. I
am also concerned about libcap and dbus being hard requirements of the
udev build process.

If udev, or the tools that it needs, like tmpfiles, requires these
libraries, that is one thing, otherwise I really do not want
to make them dependencies of the udev package. The issue is that in
gentoo, since we are source based, I would have to require all of our
users to install dbus and libcap just to build udev.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

William