Re: systemd-183

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can say that there are several packages currently required by configure
> that are not needed by a udev only build:  intltool, XML::Parser, libpcap2,
> attr, usbutils, libusb, pciutils, and dbus.

Regarding usbutils and pciutils: these are not needed at compile-time
if you pass in the correct configure switch to set the {pci,usb}ids
path.

The {pci,usb}ids databases are however needed by udev on runtime and
they are traditionally shipped with {usb,pci}utils, so that's
something to keep in mind.

On Arch (as well as on Gentoo), we deal with this by shipping the
databases in a separate package[0], and dropping the dependency on
{pci,usb}utils. Maybe that's something other's would benefit from too.

Cheers,

Tom

[0]: <http://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/any/hwids/>