Re: UDEV : ASUS Laptop G73S MultiCard Reader

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:50:31AM -0400, Postmaster wrote:

> >That is because this is a different device, and it says it is a
> >vendor-specific protocol, which will not work with the usb-storage
> >driver, sorry.
>
> I Disagree with most of what u suggest.

I'm sorry to hear that.

> Who knows what vendor specific means. And you really wont know until
> you try. Which is why there are tables to handle Unusual Devices.

If a vendor says it is not a mass-storage device, why do you think they
are lying?  And the term, "vendor specific" has a very specific
definition, see the USB specification if you are curious as to what it
is.

> At this time there is a realtek driver in the latest kern code. I
> would like to load up this driver when usb-core detects this device.
>
> Right now, I have not found the udev rule for loading up usb-storage.

There is no such rule, the usb device id causes it to happen through
modprobe of the module alias of the device.

> So where are the udev system specs

This is not something that udev does at all, sorry.

> BTW: is there a way to disable, and enable the device? Since this
> usb device is internal, if I have too many "printk" or DBG messages
> at boot-up time, it tends to overflow the rsyslogd daemon.
>
> btw#2 where is this forum? All one sees in the written docs is to
> email questions, rather than post questions to a forum.

Yes, this is done through email, not a web forum.

greg k-h