Re: Moving Ubuntu to upstream udev rules (Part 2)

On Dec 22, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >  - KERNEL=="tun", NAME="net/%k", MODE="0666", OPTIONS+="ignore_remove"
> >  + KERNEL=="tun", NAME="net/%k"
> >  The mode seems rather permissive?  Do you really allow any user to
> >  make tunnels by default?  (Ours is 0600!)
> Hmm, I don't know. I see Ubuntu users complaining on the net, who use
> virtualization not running as root. But if it's unsafe we should
> change that.
It's safe with modern kernels, it should be 666 to not anger users.

> >  We have the nvram group, no idea why, we just do ;)
> Hmm, if there is a good reason. Maybe just drop "nvram", and wait if
> anybody complains?
As I explained, it's a Debianism.

> Putting gigabyte-big USB hard disks in the "floppy" group? Also some
Yes, because "floopy" actually means "removable storage devices".

> ATA/SCSI storage controller are marked as removable. I don't think we
I like to call these "buggy".

> If we can not agree on a default, we can do an option, but we do
> nobody a favor who works on an upstream project and who needs to find
> the differences again. So, I'm all for finding a common solution, For
> me it would not be a problem to use "dialout" if that is what we want.
> Harald?
In Debian uucp and dialout are totally unrelated groups: the first one
is used by the Taylor UUCP package for its own stuff, the second one
means "member users can initiate a dialout connection using SLIP,
PPP or a terminal program". I think some distributions overloaded the
uucp group with both meanings. Debian cannot merge them.

--
ciao,
Marco