Re: Moving Ubuntu to upstream udev rules (Part 2)

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 17:02, Scott James Remnant <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 16:30 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:

>> >  Isn't the ignore_remove already handled by the /lib/udev/devices
>> >  check?  Our /dev/net/tun is in there.
>>
>> Yeah, because it sets NAME= earlier to place it in the subdirectory.
>> The current check only covers devices which have NAME= set.
>>
> Slightly confused.
>
> The general ignore_remove rule looks like:
>
> ACTION=="remove", NAME=="?*", TEST=="/lib/udev/devices/$name", \
>        OPTIONS+="ignore_remove"
>
> Does this mean that this rule does nothing if the name isn't changed?

Yes, it was like that until now.

> Want to understand where we need the ignore_remove option on rules, or
> what is caught by this one.

But the last line here, I added after you asked to check, should make
it work as expected:
  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob;f=rules/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules;h=d6fdf00bf9a26d6d7b76577b7d11eabdc1d9bebb;hb=a7cb7d79f787614b9c4ade94a7a95144ef46eacd

>> > rules/packages/40-isdn.rules:
>> >
>> >  - SUBSYSTEM=="capi", KERNEL=="capi", NAME="capi20", \
>> >  -         SYMLINK+="isdn/capi20", GROUP="uucp"
>> >  + SUBSYSTEM=="capi", KERNEL=="capi", NAME="capi20", \
>> >  +         GROUP="uucp"
>> >
>> >  What uses the /dev/isdn/capi20 symlink?  We've never had that, and
>> >  I've never had any bug reports.
>>
>> The old ISDN drivers are pretty much dead. But I've seen bugs about
>> /dev/capi20, and it seems used:
>>   http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&sa=N&q=/dev/capi20++lang:c&ct=rr&cs_r=lang:c
>>
> Right, but is /dev/isdn/capi20 used?  We don't have that symlink right
> now, just /dev/capi20
>
> (Nit-picky, I know, but the fewer symlinks and the more fixed software
> the better! :p)

Ah, I mis-read, didn't catch the subdir link. Let's remove it. :)

> [dialout]
>> If we can not agree on a default, we can do an option, but we do
>> nobody a favor who works on an upstream project and who needs to find
>> the differences again. So, I'm all for finding a common solution, For
>> me it would not be a problem to use "dialout" if that is what we want.
>> Harald?
>>
> There's enough legacy stuff in Debian and Ubuntu that assumes dialout
> (the entire PPP script maintenance, etc.) that I wouldn't want to use
> uucp for it -- especially since dialout is a more descriptive group
> anyway.

Yeah, I like the dialout group better too. SUSE uses that too in some packages.

Kay