Re: Moving Ubuntu to upstream udev rules (Part 2)

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 17:15, Marco d'Itri <md@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 22, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> >  - KERNEL=="tun", NAME="net/%k", MODE="0666", OPTIONS+="ignore_remove"
>> >  + KERNEL=="tun", NAME="net/%k"
>> >  The mode seems rather permissive?  Do you really allow any user to
>> >  make tunnels by default?  (Ours is 0600!)
>> Hmm, I don't know. I see Ubuntu users complaining on the net, who use
>> virtualization not running as root. But if it's unsafe we should
>> change that.
> It's safe with modern kernels, it should be 666 to not anger users.
>
>> >  We have the nvram group, no idea why, we just do ;)
>> Hmm, if there is a good reason. Maybe just drop "nvram", and wait if
>> anybody complains?
> As I explained, it's a Debianism.

Yeah, fine, distros who need that can just add it, if it's not
"generally useful".

>> Putting gigabyte-big USB hard disks in the "floppy" group? Also some
> Yes, because "floopy" actually means "removable storage devices".

Yeah, but it is a weird assupmtion today. We have real devices today
on USB and not only floppy-like USB sticks.

>> ATA/SCSI storage controller are marked as removable. I don't think we
> I like to call these "buggy".

Hmm, with buses like SAS, SATA, and enclosures, non-removable devices
are really going away. Today almost all stuff can be moved around, and
is removable. Some devices need that to force re-validation on open.

>> If we can not agree on a default, we can do an option, but we do
>> nobody a favor who works on an upstream project and who needs to find
>> the differences again. So, I'm all for finding a common solution, For
>> me it would not be a problem to use "dialout" if that is what we want.
>> Harald?
> In Debian uucp and dialout are totally unrelated groups: the first one
> is used by the Taylor UUCP package for its own stuff, the second one
> means "member users can initiate a dialout connection using SLIP,
> PPP or a terminal program". I think some distributions overloaded the
> uucp group with both meanings. Debian cannot merge them.

Yep, I guess we will all go for "dialout", where it fits better and
"uucp" is used to today.

Kay