Re: udev 130 minor incongruity

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM, David Zeuthen <david@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 17:03 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> You mean we should introduce a: --slibdir=/lib option, instead of
>> using --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=""?
>
> Yeah, I think so. Wouldn't it be more logical?

He, the --exec-prefix="" thing works fine for udev, because it has no
binaries in /usr. :) That's not a generally useful approach for
others.

> I guess, what I'm saying
> is that it would be useful if no options was needed for configure for
> the default use (building packages and hacking on an udev version that
> overwrites package supplied files).

That we could do today already with setting the defaults to
--prefix=/usr and --exec-prefix=.

> So in that case you'd default
> --slibdir to /lib, --sbindir to /sbin and --prefix to /usr.

Sure, sounds fine to have a set of common options to support
installing stuff in the rootfs.

> I don't know, maybe it's fine as is.

Yeah, we will see. Would be nice to have a common way to do it. Let me
know how the glib stuff works out.

Other things with "no options needed" are: the multilib lib/lib64
problem, the split of development files in stuff for /usr and the
rootfs, support to compute relative symlinks from /usr/lib/libfoo.so
-> ../../lib/libfoo.so.0.0.0. All that would be nice, so we can just
install stuff from the source tree, without depending on spec file
scripts.

Kay