Re: udev 130 minor incongruity

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Kyle Sallee <kyle.sallee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> # ./configure --build=$BUILD --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/
> # make
> # make install
>
> # grep libdir= /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libudev.pc
> libdir=/usr/lib
>
> However,
>
> # ls {,/usr}/lib*/libudev*
> /lib/libudev.so.0      /lib.sav/libudev.so.0      /usr/lib/libudev.so
> /lib/libudev.so.0.0.2
>
> Therefore,
>
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libudev.pc
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libvolume_id.pc
>
> appear to have incorrect libdir=
>
> However, the incongruity will probably not cause problems.

It's correct, libdir= in pkgconfig files always needs to point to the
*.so file, which does _not_ have the version number appended.

The unversioned file (our symlink to the lib object in the root
filesystem) is not used at runtime, only for development. For that
reason it is placed in /usr, where the headers and development tools
are, and the pkgconfig file tells where it can be found.

That the dynamic linker finds the library object in the root
filesystem, does not matter for development, it's a fact that should
not be exposed.

Thanks,
Kay