[Hotplug_sig] OSDL F2F Hotplug SIG report slides

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:06:57AM -0400, Martine Silbermann wrote:
> Here are the slides that I presented at last week's face to face. I
> wanted you to have a copy before this afternoon's meeting since we'll be
> discussing them.
>
> Martine

Hi Martine,

I was just reviewing this set of slides and have some more questions:

* CPU hotplug tests - four of the six tests are written; I think MarkD
  is working on another; we're waiting on additional info from Mary and
  MarkW on the other.

  For regression testing, it was requested that we run this against all
  the -mm and -git patchsets.  Over the last couple weeks I've gotten
  most of the infrastructure for this put into place.  I now have all of
  these linux patches being downloaded, applied to their base trees, and
  compiled.  I've also tested running the test suite on it.  Next I need
  to automate booting the machine to the new kernels, and after that
  will need to develop a reporting tool, but those should be pretty
  straightforward; if I don't get it done tomorrow I hope to tackle it
  after I get back from vacation.

  Once we have fully automated these six CPU hotplug regression tests on
  all kernel releases, is there any further testing needed for lchp?

* Memory hotplug - I've also set up the CPU patches to compile using the
  same framework as for CPU hotplug, so we'll have this regression
  testing covered as well, and we will also have the ability to run
  additional tests.    I asked Dave if he wanted to see any particular
  tests run on this, and he didn't have any in mind.  Do you know of any
  existing tests that would be worth running on these kernels?

* ia64 system - I have access to this machine, and am working on getting
  it configured to be able to add it to the above framework, so we can
  get compile results.  However, I need some direction about
  specifically what testing we want to do on it, beyond just boot
  testing?

  Also, do our testing objectives include testing on hardware that has
  memory hotplug capabilities?  If so, is there a machine I should be
  looking at for doing this on?

Thanks,
Bryce