Re: External authentication in driver-based AP SME mode

On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 08:04:05AM +0900, 이세문 wrote:
> Recently, I've adjusted wpa_supplicant 2.8 to my project and met an
> weird issue when I tried to connect two devices as p2p mode. Anyway,
> I've found that the patch which is related to the external
> authentication support is related to the issue.
>
> https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=236e793e7b8b96f7ad3e9aa3ea83b7c7c83b43fa
>
> It changed to call nl80211_register_frame of WLAN_FC_STYPE_AUTH when
> bss->drv->device_ap_sme is true. What I want to know is that if
> WLAN_FC_TYPE_AUTH should be registered always when
> bss->drv->device_ap_sme is true. I thought that it might be added for
> supporting SAE, but my driver doesn't work properly because
> WLAN_FC_TYPE_AUTH is registered even when I don't use SAE.

Which driver is this and can you please provide more details on how it
does not work with frame registration?

This registration to process Authentication frames is used for SAE
external authentication, but there may not be very convenient capability
indication today in nl80211 that would make it easy to make the
registration conditional since this functionality is depending more on
the driver indicating the need to process a specific Authentication
frame in user space when that need occurs and user space indicating that
there is support for this capability when starting the AP.

Presence of NL80211_CMD_EXTERNAL_AUTH handler might be usable as an
extra condition for this even though it is really documented for station
mode.. That command is used in AP mode as well, so I think this would
not break the offload case. However, this would not cover a case of a
driver that uses external auth in station mode, but not in AP mode,
should there be such a combination.