Re: Interface conflict on Raspberry PI DPP

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 04:55:09PM +0000, Livin Sunny wrote:
> I am using a Raspberry PI with 4.14y kernel on Raspbian and running wpa_supplicant 2.9-release version. I could see following observation and would like to confirm whether these are to be handled in Wi-Fi driver or in user space?

Is this still an open issue? I tried to reproduce this with a
mac80211_hwsim test case and everything seemed to be working fine
with that. That would seem to suggest that this is more likely a driver
specific issue.

> 1] There are two interfaces on running wpa_supplicant. The wlan0 and p2p-dev-wlan0. I am using wlan0 interface for my operations on DPP. On issuing the DPP listen command, I observed that the DPP listen stops working after 5 seconds when the event CANCEL_REMAIN_ON_CHANNEL is received. I could see that REMAIN_ON_CHANNEL event is coming on wlan0 but the CANCEL_REMAIN_ON_CHANNEL event is coming on p2p-dev-wlan0. This cause the DPP listen to stop working as the cookie check fails since cookie comparison is done with the p2p-dev-wlan0 interface whereas cookie value is actually set on wlan0. Is there any way to get wlan0 listen continously ?

This worked with mac80211_hwsim. Both the NL80211_CMD_REMAIN_ON_CHANNEL
and NL80211_CMD_CANCEL_REMAIN_ON_CHANNEL events got indicated on
p2p-dev-wlan# and wlan# interfaces and DPP listen continued. If the
driver that you are using here is delivering those events inconsistently
with only to one of the interfaces and the different one for
start/stop, that sounds like a driver issue.

> 2] Anyway, since the DPP listen works for the first 5 seconds, I could initiate an authentication request from AP. The AP got an authentication response from the supplicant. However all the authentication response received where having the MAC address of p2p-dev-wlan0 even though interface is selected wlan0 in wpa_cli? Is there any way to send authentication frames from wlan0 interface by disabling virtual interface p2p-dev-wlan0?

This worked fine with mac80211_hwsim as well, i.e., DPP Authentication
Request used the MAC address of wlan#, not p2p-dev-wlan#.

> Client side log showing that it received DP request and sending authentication response:
> Off-channel: Send action frame: freq=2412 dst=00:c0:ca:96:c7:d9 src=b8:27:eb:16:48:ab bssid=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff len=238

> AP side log showing a mismatch of MAC since the action frame is received from p2p-dev-wlan0 where as it was expecting wlan0 interface.

> RX_ACTION category 4 action 9 sa 1e:50:bf:b4:d3:70 da 00:c0:ca:96:c7:d9 len 262 freq 2412

That sounds like misbehavior in the client side driver.. wpa_supplicant
is using the MAC address of wlan0, but the driver overrides and ends up
using some P2P specific processing.