Re: What to use on GTK+3

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
<hackedbellini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 10:09 AM Igor Korot <ikorot01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
>> <hackedbellini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > The whole point here is to _be redundant_. Why? For some reasons, but a
>> > major one is: Users don't read dialogs!
>>
>> Why people think this? Was there a statistical analysis about it?
>> How many people do read them comparing to how many people don't?
>>
>> Where can I see it? And who did it?
>

> There might be some better studies out there, but you can take for example
> the 10 usability heuristics from Jakob Nielsen.
>
> The "Recognition rather than recall" [1] fits perfectly in this. By using a
> clear action instead of simple boolean answers, "Yes" and "No", you reduce
> the user's memory load. It makes it easier for the user and reduces the risk
> of misinterpretation of the question.
>
> Take for example a dialog: "Are you sure you want to overwrite this file?".
> By having a "Yes" and "No" answers, it is not clear without reading the
> dialog what they mean. You can change that to "Overwrite it" and "Don't
> overwrite" and the buttons themselves have meaning, even if you don't read
> the dialog.
>
> These links [2][3] are another example of that.
>
> [1] http://www.nngroup.com/articles/recognition-and-recall/
> [2]
> http://usabilitypost.com/2008/08/30/usability-tip-use-verbs-as-labels-on-buttons/
> [3] http://arstechnica.com/security/2008/09/study-confirms-users-are-idiots/

I just took a look at those links.
Now nowhere in [1] and [2] I found an actual stats of how many people
did/did not read the
dialog messages prior to clicking the response button. There was
absolutely _no statistics_.
While [3] does show some stats, it is not actually usable as students
are usually eager to finish
the task _on time_. They need a good grades and of course they will do
anything to get rid
of something that stays in the way.

Was there a same research does for an actual adults? Not students, but
actual people?
I would love to see it? Especially the one that done in a company of,
say, 1,000+ employees.

Thank you.