Re: What to use on GTK+3

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 1:46 AM Daniel Kasak <d.j.kasak.dk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No no no. Everybody is wrong. What we need is:

[ Actually, now that I come to think about it, this is not the action
I would like to take at this time. Thankyou all the same]
[ This is precisely the action that I require, and I thank you for the
explicit dialog and verbose text in the buttons; it really makes sure
I know what it about to happen, and possibly makes the rest of the
text of the dialog redundant, but hey, at least there is zero scope
for confusion]

The whole point here is to _be redundant_. Why? For some reasons, but a major one is: Users don't read dialogs!

By having verbose options instead of boolean answers, it is less likely that the user will choose the first option just because he thinks it is the one he needs.

Dan

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> However, in relation to Igor's original point, giving the user options of
>> Yes/No is IMO fine if your dialog asks a short, simple question that
>> requires an answer of Yes or No. As in
>>
>> Overwrite <filename>? Yes/No
>> Send message? Yes/No
>> Really delete X? Yes/No
>>
>> One could rephrase these messages as something other than Yes/No questions
>> but would that actually be clearer? I doubt it.
>
> I think you're wrong. Each one of these can be converted into a dialog
> of the following general form:
>
>       Need confirmation to carry out potentially significant action
>
>         [ Do not take this action ]    [ Take this action ]
>

> A specific case may help
>

>       Overwriting this file may cause data loss
>
>        [ Do not overwrite the file ]   [ Overwrite the file ]
>

> or
>
>       Once your message is sent, you cannot delete it.
>
>        [ Do not send this message]  [ Send this message]
>

> Both these examples are clearer, because they explain what is at stake.
Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
http://hackedbellini.org

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.” - Confucius