Re: What to use on GTK+3

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 3:11 AM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Emmanuele,

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Use "Yes", but please: consider using a more descriptive label and icon than
 just "yes".

The "Yes", "No" and "Cancel" are legitimate button labels, especially if used
in one dialog.

In some very few cases you may find yourself with no better option than "yes", "no" or "cancel" as button labels in a dialog, however, probably 99% of the time you can do better, and you do a disservice to your users by choosing GTK_STOCK_OK just because you were too lazy to search for a proper verb which describes the consequent action properly.

Granted (and thanks for the interesting stackexchange reference infra). Giving options of just OK/Cancel seems to be generally suboptimal and in some cases positively evil.

However, in relation to Igor's original point, giving the user options of Yes/No is IMO fine if your dialog asks a short, simple question that requires an answer of Yes or No. As in

Overwrite <filename>? Yes/No
Send message? Yes/No
Really delete X? Yes/No

One could rephrase these messages as something other than Yes/No questions but would that actually be clearer? I doubt it. I'd want to see peer-reviewed psychological studies showing an error rate that was lower by a statistically significant margin before I believed that.

Allin Cottrell