From: Earl [mailto:Large.Files@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, 6 November 2009 11:44 PM
To: GNU Gatekeeper Users
Subject: Re:  Calling through two gnugks

Mike,

first, for testing I would put both GKs in their DMZs, since they should
see any calls on any port.

In summary,
LAN 1 to LAN 2 calls over a double NAT work as far as signaling goes.
EPx connected directly to the Inet works for signaling and voice and
video via single NAT.
LAN 1 to LAN 2 calls over a double NAT do NOT work for voice and video.
LAN 1 to LAN 1 and LAN 2 to LAN 2 calls function correctly.
LAN 1 to LAN 2 calls over a VPN (no NAT) do work for voice and video.

Problem could be:

h460.23/.24 double NAT traversal is not functioning in your case
your port configurations are wrong in GnuGKs
Port configurations between EPs and GnuGKs do not match.
something else

Jan & Simon, do you have any ideas for testing / tracing whether Mike's
problem
is media NAT traversal or port problem ?

Does GnuGK status port indicate successful double NAT traversal using
h460.23/.24?

If not, would it be possible to add some indication in status signals
whether
h460.23/.24 was successful or not, or at least some helpful info for
debugging
NAT traversal problems ?  For example, whether certain h460.23/.24 hand-
shaking was completed or not?

Mike, where are your work EPs registered to?      and your home EP?
If work EPs are registered with work GK and home EPs to home GK,
what happens if all EPs register with just one GK?  Even if you do not
want to continue this way, as a test it might provide some info.

Regards, Earl

Michael Bondi wrote:
> Earl,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Firstly, my ADSL routers _are_ registered with dyndns addresses and my
> office.domain.co.za and home.domain.co.za records point to the
> respective office and home dyndns addresses correctly. That is how I
> can call from an external public IP to either office or home network
> and the calls are fine.
>
> The call is definitely going to the right place when I call out from
> my office to my home, I can see it in Etherape running on the office
> gatekeeper machine. I call home.domain.co.za or 1234@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> and the call is hitting the gnugk on the far side ans is going to the
> dyndns address of the far side router.
>
> Note: I do not call the LAN IP of the far side gnugk, I call to it's
> publically accessible IP (DNS record pointing to the dyndns address -
> trust me this works!) the way I would call if my external endpoint
> were on a public IP.
>
> The problem when I have the VPN up, is that the office gatekeeper is
> getting to the right address on the home gatekeeper but then the
> checks for NAT run, and since the VPN is in place, connects the call
> via the VPN. So audio and video go through fine. I can again see this
> happening in Etherape on the office gatekeeper.
>
> But, when I have the VPN down or disconnected (as in most normal
> circumstances) and I try calling again via the internet to the other
> side, the call is still going to the right place and is being answered
> as expected, but I get _no audio and video_. Now this is where the NAT
> stuff should kick in as it does in the call from the public IP. But
> again, my public IP is not behind a NAT, so I am wondering if my NAT
> configuration is correct.
>
> The moment I add ExternalIP=office.domain.co.za to the Main section,
> even the calls between internal endpoints at the office fail with the
> no route to destination message.
>
> What is strange is that calls from a public endpoint outside either
> network to endpoints inside the network go throught fine. So that
> means that it is proxying the calls correctly at each respective gnugk.
>
> Now when Endpoint -GK-GK-Endpoint calls are made, it is not working
> correctly for me.
>
> As I mentioned before, I do not want the two GnuGk's to be registered
> with each other, kinda like cellphones on different networks must be
> able to call each other.
>
> I have done port forwarding as per my previous posting as well as put
> the respective gnugk's in the DMZ of each router. Do you think I
> should do both port forwarding and DMZ together? Maybe this is my
> problem.
>
> Maybe I should also be using Stun to check for NAT.
>
> I'll keep trying and posting.
>
> Mike
>
> Earl wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> I have been following your thread and do not understand why you are
>> having
> [...]

trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus
on