From: openh323gk-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:openh323gk-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Simon
Horne
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:33 PM
To: GNU Gatekeeper Users
Subject: Re:  GnuGK vs MERA MVTS

Lucian

Thanks, the big difference is X-Lite is SIP and PacPhone is H.323. Side by
side it will lose out regardless whether it has the better graphics, that
just the nature of the industry and really doesn't worry me, the purpose of
PacPhone is not to better than X-Lite, it is being developed to suit a
particular need in the market.

Since joining the project in 2006, I have never looked at GnuGk has beening
a carrier grade anything although I have done some small carrier deployments
with it. I'm definitely focused on the future, and IMHO for GnuGK to become
more relevent it has to focus on  features and applications and not just
VoIP termination. NAT/firewall support and a broader range of routing
policies (ENUM,SRV,RDS) makes it more versatile and scalable. Work is still
continuing with P2Pnat Media (Nat Traversal without proxying media) and a
scalable intergatekeeper presence system due for the v2.2.8 release.

I gave a talk a few months back called "VoIP is Dead. Long Live Real-Time
Communications". The crux of the talk was about the need to be more than
VoIP. Application sharing, multipoint video conferencing, file transfer,
Presence, directory services, text and multimedia messaging, media
encryption, NAT traversal. All the things that were promised at the dawn of
VoIP but (with the exception for skype) have never been delivered. My desire
is for this to become a reality and GnuGk is a key component of that.

I think you have to also look at the great work Jan is doing with call
bridging (GnuGk initiated calls), the new SQL routing policy (for least cost
routing), the call fallover and ACD support and you can see that GnuGk is a
lot more than a poor man's SBC.

IMHO so what if GnuGk is not a carrier switch, To me it's a lot more than
that and a very versatile, scalable free piece of software.

My 2 cents.

Simon

just about anything Open Source.

just about anything Open Source.