RTC and GnuGk

Lucian

I changed the topic to better reflect the forked discussion.

> Real-Time communications are and should be built using protocols that are
much easier to code.

It is. I swear, this stuff is much easier, more interoperable and scalable
in H.323 than protocols like SIP. Just everyone wants the one-trick pony.

> I admire your efforts to do presence with h.323 and your P2pnat media
works like a charm.

Classic case in point of why doing RTC in H.323 is easier than SIP. The
equivalent to P2Pnat media in SIP is ICE. ICE is 5 years in development, now
in draft version 15? is over 120 pages long, extremely complex and still a
call can fail due to NAT, is not interoperable with standard RTP, can have
long delays establishing calls etc etc. Now compare that with P2Pnat Media
which ITU submission is about 25 pages formatted and in GnuGk is about 50
lines of code and as you say it "works like a charm".

Now don't get me started on IMS....

I always say if you can't get people with decent programming skills, don't
dumb down the program get better programmers.. :) In GnuGk case this is
irrelevent as the code is completely open source.

Here are the major problem with microsoft and cisco UC.
1. It's in the most part proprietry (a flavor of SIP)
2. It costs a bomb
3. It's not scalable (beyond the enterprise)
4. It's not free or open source

rant over :)

The real important issue is to make sure these features don't interfere with
the core functioning of GnuGK and I think wih some smarts with using H.460
this should not be an issue.

BTW: If someone has a cool GUI idea for PacPhone and is not overly complex
and is not going to be a huge amount of rejigging, I am very interested. :)

Simon

arketplace