Re: GnuGK vs MERA MVTS

Jan et all,

I have been succesfully using used GNUGK for over 4 years now in a few
different setups - as proxy, gatekeeper and even as SBC. For over 1.5 years
I've been working as a voice engineer and then as voice Ops manager for the
largest data network provider in Europe and we used Nextone MSW as SBCs. We
used to do over 200 mil minutes/month, with peaks of over 10.000
simultaneous voip calls (sip and h.323) and I can make a comparison between
the two.
Nextone MSW is probably the world's leading SBC manufacturer and is very
popular in the carrier's world. It can do SIP and H.323, we had most of the
traffic as SIP, but also a lot of h.323 traffic (about 70-30 distribution).
In terms of bugs I can say the nextone MSW was not great when working with
h.323 at all. However, performance-wise I don't really have comparison terms
between the 2, mainly because of the architectures of the 2 products.
Nextone uses specialized hardware (hotknife cards) to handle RTP. This
increases the performance of the system a lot and I think the gnugk project
should consider this at one point if the need or opportunity to go
carrier-grade is seen. The architecture of the Nextone MSW was optimized for
carrier grade usage with trunk group routing and billing which is a big plus
imo.
However, as I said, Nextone is still not great handling h.323, I've sent
them a list of bugs (some of them solved in a newer version, some of them
not) which were frustrating.
Gnugk is far more flexible than any commercial product for a simple reason -
it's open source. I've been modifying some stuff in gnugk for billing
purposes and it works great (+ I've never had a problem with gnugk billing).
I'm not sure gnugk was ever thought of as beeing carrier grade. If it was,
then the "carrier grade" term needs to be defined because doing voip
termination doesn't make you a carrier.
What carriers are looking at is :
- High volume of calls (by high I mean over 2000 simultaneous calls which
gnugk can't do). With GNUGK in routed mode I was doing around 300 or a bit
more.
- High CAPS value. The Nextone MSW can do around 100 CAPS working with sip
and h.323 (if I remember correctly ~80 CAPS in h.323 only). I have no idea
how many CAPS gnugk can handle, I remember 2 years ago gnugk had a lot of
problems handling a lot of call attempts per second and versuch (which is
another great open source software) used to do it better but it was more
buggy.
- Vendor Support - In a carrier organization, the vendor is the 3rd or 4th
line of support. A carrier needs to know if something fails they can call
the vendor and get the vendor support online in a matter of minutes. You
won't believe the monthly charges vendors have for support, depending on
SLA. At a first sight it may be unjustified, but for huge traffic it can
actually save you money even if you're paying your vendors 6 digits
amounts/year.
- Stability - An open source solution that has been tested and it's stable
doesn't mean it will stay this way. As an example, a couple of years ago I
was running gnugk as proxy with over 50 subscribers for months when it
started to crash regularry from a RAI message sent by a cisco ATA. There was
some revenue loss until I found and fixed the problem, but I'm not sure how
many would have been able to do that, therefore the vendor support is highly
appreciated in these cases.
- 3rd party liability - By agreeing with some SLAs, commercial voip solution
vendors take upon them losses generated by software/hardware failure.
- market credibility - would big carriers interconnect to your open-source
solution ?
...and the list can continue.

Bottom line, there's no point of comparing gnugk with any commercial
carrier-grade sbc. More than that, gnugk was probably not built as SBC even
if it can work as one. Considering GNUGK a company proxy would be an insult
to the project, it is much more than that.
Gnugk is a great product - it can be used in many different setups creating
many applications, I would say for start-ups or small businesses. LONG LIVE
OPEN SOURCE !
Also, Simon's PacPhone is a fantastic product and it works with GNUGK
perfectly. All it needs is better graphics which is probably why there are
more users implementing (* and X-lite) than (Gnugk and PacPhone).
What Jan should be looking at is drawing more financial support towards
Gnugk to make it more popular and develop more features.

Anyway, keep it up guys ! You have all my support, don't hesitate to ask if
you need anything.

Cheers,
Lucian