Re: GnuGK vs MERA MVTS

Hi Jan,

thanks for listing the results of your comparison, but I'd like to note
a few things that have changed:

GnuGk has call failover since version 2.2.4 and since 2.2.3, you can
use [FileIPAuth] to authenticate by IP number. I also see installations
having 400-500 proxy calls on a regular Linux server and even more in
routed mode. But beyond that, most users cluster servers, indeed.

But GnuGk isn't perfect and maybe a few others on the list could share
their experience comparing GnuGk to other commercial systems.

Regards,
Jan

Jan Riedinger wrote:
> Hello Jove,
>
> I evaluated gnugk two years ago. Thus, maybe my statements are not up to
> date. And maybe I'm biased, because I have Mera Reseller agreement.
>
> However, two years ago gnugk was not carrier grade:
>
> I had performance problems, with mvts 1 you can handle more than 1000 -
> 2000 with a  standard  PC. With  gnugk  I was able to handle under
> FreeBSD with a two processor system at maximum 130 simultanous calls.
> But I heard with Linux more than 300 were possible.
>
> gnugk had had no 2cd choice routing. If the first routing choice signals
> "no circuit" there was no chance to reroute the call to a 2cd choice.
>
> It was decided by random, when the call duration in the CDRs were
> rounded up and rounded down to the next integer number.
>
> It was not possible to restrict calls by using ip adresses. This was
> indirectly possible anyway by using aliases (I dont remember exactly),
> but you had the precondition that your customer didn't change the name
> of his GW. This was a no go for me, because I couldnt make my routing
> dependend on the configuration of my customer.
>
> Mera can do transcoding (e.g from g723 to g729). There are a lot of
> option for call distribution if you have more than one supplier.
>
> I'm a fan of free software, but if you want to use gnugk as carrier with
> a lot of E1 call capacity I dont think that gnugk is (at least was) a
> good option. If you  want to use it for a company proxy it is probably
> good enough.
>
> However, there is strong trend for using SIP. Thus I'm currently
> evaluating to use SER and maybe Asterisk or a Cisco for transcoding to
> reduce licence fees.
>
> BR
>   Jan Riedinger
>

> Jove Blazevski schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anybody please give some comparison between GnuGK and MERA Softswich
> > (MVTS or MVTS II). Only for the h.323 part, MVTS supports SIP but that is
> > not important in this case.
> >
> > I would really like to know how GNUGK stands with MVTS with high volume of
> > calls. In addition, is MERA compatible with many h.323 devices like GnuGK
> > is?
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> > Jove

just about anything Open Source.