Re: Re[2]: gnugk and NAT

Hi Cezar,

> Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll try them. My main problem is
> that the phone doesn't even register with the gatekeeper, I see only
> GCF and ARJ on the gatekeeper with phone's routed (already NATed)
> address. This is not an authentication issue because, without NAT the
> same phone registers easily, and everything works. So, I think that
> the phone never recieves a reply from the gatekeeper and evidently
> there's something wrong with my NAT. I'll try to place the phone alone
> behind the NAT box and to map all pors to it, just to see if it will
> get any answer from the gatekeeper. As for the SupportNATedEndpoints=1
> and ProxyForNAT=1 commands, do I need them in the config? I'm not sure
> but I think I don't have such options, I'm still using 2.0.8. I have
> to check this out.
>
> Did anyone at all manage to get an ip phone behind NAT working with
> gnugk in proxy mode?

Gnugk 2.0.8 works fine with endpoints behind NAT, and has the config
options mentioned.

It's normal for GCF to show the public address.

I have never seen the registration problem you describe.

IMHO you should debug it by running Ethereal on both sides
of the NAT.  On the LAN side, if the phone is hardware, then
you will need a dumb hub or a managed switch, so the PC
running Ethereal can see the packets to and from the phone.
On the WAN side, running Ethereal on the gnugk machine should
be fine.

Does the phone see the GCF packet?  You can tell if it isn't,
because it will retry GRQ several times, so you will see
several GCFs from gnugk.  If that's the case, conceivably
the phone is sending the GRQ on port 1718 (it should be using
1719 for unicast GRQ) and gnugk is responding from 1719.
Otherwise, the NAT must be dropping or butchering the GCF.
There should be no forwarding needed for GRQ and GCF.

If the phone gets the GCF, then what happens to the RRQ?
This is also a simple outgoing UDP packet and the NAT should
pass it, without forwarding.

--Stewart