Re[2]: gnugk and NAT

Hi, Stewart.

You wrote:

> Do you have multiple phones behind the same NAT?
> If so, it won't work unless the phones allow you
> to specify unique ports for call signaling and RTP.
> Even then, it's an administrative hassle if you have
> more than two or three.

Yes my phones allow to specify unique ports for signalling and RTP and
the nmuber of phones is not very lurge. I understand all the admin
issues, but this is the only solution in my case.

> For a single phone on a private LAN:
> Does it register (RCF message on GK console)?  If not,
> check that the phone is configured with the IP address
> of the GK (discovery can't work across the NAT).
> If you do see an RCF, does it show the private address
> of the phone?  If not, then your NAT is trying to be
> "smart" about H.323 and if it doesn't do it right you
> are in trouble.  If you do see the private address
> in the RCF, and you have SupportNATedEndpoints=1
> and ProxyForNAT=1, then outgoing calls should work
> without doing anything to the NAT, except that you
> may not hear any audio until the called party answers.
> To fix that, and enable incoming calls, you need to
> forward TCP 1720 and whatever RTP ports the phone
> uses.  If you can't use Fast Start and/or H.245
> tunneling, you also need to forward TCP port(s) for H.245.
> Once you have done that and it all works, you may be
> able to improve performance by turning off ProxyForNAT.
> The above all assumes that the NAT is not blocking any
> outgoing UDP or TCP.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll try them. My main problem is
that the phone doesn't even register with the gatekeeper, I see only
GCF and ARJ on the gatekeeper with phone's routed (already NATed)
address. This is not an authentication issue because, without NAT the
same phone registers easily, and everything works. So, I think that
the phone never recieves a reply from the gatekeeper and evidently
there's something wrong with my NAT. I'll try to place the phone alone
behind the NAT box and to map all pors to it, just to see if it will
get any answer from the gatekeeper. As for the SupportNATedEndpoints=1
and ProxyForNAT=1 commands, do I need them in the config? I'm not sure
but I think I don't have such options, I'm still using 2.0.8. I have
to check this out.

Did anyone at all manage to get an ip phone behind NAT working with
gnugk in proxy mode?

--
Regards,
Cezar                          mailto:cezar@xxxxxxx