Re: gnugk and NAT

Hi Cezar,

Do you have multiple phones behind the same NAT?
If so, it won't work unless the phones allow you
to specify unique ports for call signaling and RTP.
Even then, it's an administrative hassle if you have
more than two or three.  If the NAT box is in the
same building as the GK, you could put a second NIC
in the GK and connect it to the private LAN.
Otherwise, you could put a child GK on the private LAN.

For a single phone on a private LAN:
Does it register (RCF message on GK console)?  If not,
check that the phone is configured with the IP address
of the GK (discovery can't work across the NAT).
If you do see an RCF, does it show the private address
of the phone?  If not, then your NAT is trying to be
"smart" about H.323 and if it doesn't do it right you
are in trouble.  If you do see the private address
in the RCF, and you have SupportNATedEndpoints=1
and ProxyForNAT=1, then outgoing calls should work
without doing anything to the NAT, except that you
may not hear any audio until the called party answers.
To fix that, and enable incoming calls, you need to
forward TCP 1720 and whatever RTP ports the phone
uses.  If you can't use Fast Start and/or H.245
tunneling, you also need to forward TCP port(s) for H.245.
Once you have done that and it all works, you may be
able to improve performance by turning off ProxyForNAT.
The above all assumes that the NAT is not blocking any
outgoing UDP or TCP.

Good luck,

Stewart