Re: Two NetMeetings, two NATs, one Gatekeeper: is it possible?

Hi again,

H.323 normally uses UDP for RAS messages (no problem because they
go just to and from the GK), RTP (the actual voice packets),
and RTCP (media statistics and control info).  I had assumed that
gnugk would proxy (relay) the RTP/RTCP packets, but see below.

This could be a problem, since B1 (behind the uncontrolled NAT) is the one who can't be reached by UDP. Unless the B1 client can be made to send UDP packets to the GK or A-client first, and the B-NAT is stateful with respects to UDP (which might take some time to check), I guess using a proxy on the A side makes little to no difference. As I'm neither an expert in NATs nor in H.323, I'm not even sure whether this can be done.

Ports forwarded to A2:

TCP 1718-1731
TCP 30000-30020
UDP 5000-5010
UDP 1719-1720

I'm not sure what you mean. If A2 is directly on the Internet, it should not need any forwarding. If you're forwarding ports *through* A2 to A1, using iptables, that would conflict with doing the proxying in gnugk; try removing them all.

Oh, sorry: A2 usually forwards all ports above 1024 to A1. What I meant was that A2 in this case was *no longer* forwarding those ports to A1, but keeping them for itself.

When B1 registers, the RCF message on the console should show both
the private and public addresses.  If you see only the public, it
means that the B1 NAT is messing with the H.323.  In that case, see
if CallSignalPort=1720 helps.

If still no joy, register an endpoint that is on a public IP, and
see if B1 can call it.

Thanks, I'll try that. In the meantime, we're asking the B-side NAT admins if they can arrange a GK on the B side, but this will take some time.

Bye, and thanks again,
  Ben Deutsch