Re: Re: calls from vip-000 fail

It highly depends WHEN the calling endpoint sends the H.245 OLC message.
The last chance to send H.245 OLC message is along with the CONNECT message.
Some gateways send H.245 along with the SETUP message (descibed as
"H245 early connect").
Use Ethereal as Stewart recommended and you will see what is going on.

Also, H.245 tunelling has a little in common with the H245 routed section.

IMHO if H.245 tunelling is enabled in both the gateways, then there is
a little of sense (if any) to use the H245routed section in GnuGK.

Correct, but you may want to leave this on, if you have some endpoints that can't tunnel, or won't do it correctly.

H245routed instructs gnugk that also the H.245 signalling shall be
passed through the gatekeeper and not between the endpoints directly.

i guess that with H245Routed=1, gnugk waits for the logical channel(s) to
be established after the first ACF is logged. however the logical channels
are encapsulated in the call control channel when h245tunneling is enabled
on the vip, so it seems gnugk doesn't catch them. or, since i'm really far
from being a h323 guru, i'm completely wrong, which wouldn't surprise me.

The GK should see and interpret the tunneled commands, but you are calling between EPs on the same LAN, so I would expect it to work even if the GK just passed them through.

the strange thing is that on the other gateways that have h245 tunneling, i
don't have this problem.

stewart, do you have the same behavior with both h245 tunneling on your vip
and routing enabled in gnugk ?

I don't have tunneling enabled on my VIPs (don't remember if it caused a problem) but I do use fast start, and that works ok. I'm running V3.26 on the systems with fast start.

In any VIP firmware I tried, there is this bug on all POTS->VOIP calls:
With fast start off, the VIP won't play call progress audio, even if the
remote GW provides it.  It just plays a locally generated ring tone instead.
This can cause you to miss "number has been changed" and other similar
announcements.  With fast start on (and accepted), the VIP can only play call
progress audio, so you won't hear a ringing tone from a GW that only sends
Alerting, without sending audio ringing.

--Stewart

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on ITManagersJournal Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give us Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out more http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl