Re: [RFC/PATCH] Invokedynamic API stubs

On 13:28 Tue 08 Feb     , Mark Wielaard wrote:

> > > I'd prefer to have it in HEAD as long as it's clearly marked as stubs
> > > (the NotImplementedException I mentioned) and there is work actively
> > > taking place.
> > > Then there's always the (slim) possibility someone else can work on it :-)
> >
> > That was my original thinking as well. Does the included patch look
> > better to you? Mark, what do you think about this?
>
> I admit to still just not like stubs, however they are setup.
> If creating branches wasn't such a pain with CVS I would really
> recommend doing all this on a branch and only merge when ready and it
> can actually be used with some VM. I guess it is just time to bite the
> bullet and create some time to move to mercurial and setup some rules
> about how to create working branches. I won't veto getting this in right
> now if that is really what you and Andrew want, but I am not
> particularly excited either.

I assume by Mercurial 'branching', you mean what we do with IcedTea6 HEAD
and the releases at present, not the in-tree support?  Because that's worse
than CVS IME.

> > This patch implements the work-in-progress invokedynamic API stubs described
> > here:
> >
> >   http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/dyn/package-summary.html
> >
> > The classes don't do anything useful yet and don't even contain all the
> > specified methods.
>
> Might be better to find some other reference to point people at. This
> screams it isn't finished yet, might move. I don't have a good
> suggestion though. The java doc in OpenJDK is distributed under the GPL
> though, but doesn't seem to be online yet.

Is there anything stopping us having the docs generated by IcedTea online?
Maybe the builder could produce them?

--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and IcedTea
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://icedtea.classpath.org
PGP Key: F5862A37 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EA30 D855 D50F 90CD F54D  0698 0713 C3ED F586 2A37