Re: [RFC/PATCH] Invokedynamic API stubs

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 22:01 +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 15:24 +0100, Dr Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> > > I guess I could keep it on my Github mirror until I have something
> > > concrete enough to be merged to trunk.
> > >
> > I'd prefer to have it in HEAD as long as it's clearly marked as stubs
> > (the NotImplementedException I mentioned) and there is work actively
> > taking place.
> > Then there's always the (slim) possibility someone else can work on it :-)
>
> That was my original thinking as well. Does the included patch look
> better to you? Mark, what do you think about this?

I admit to still just not like stubs, however they are setup.
If creating branches wasn't such a pain with CVS I would really
recommend doing all this on a branch and only merge when ready and it
can actually be used with some VM. I guess it is just time to bite the
bullet and create some time to move to mercurial and setup some rules
about how to create working branches. I won't veto getting this in right
now if that is really what you and Andrew want, but I am not
particularly excited either.

> This patch implements the work-in-progress invokedynamic API stubs described
> here:
>
>   http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/dyn/package-summary.html
>
> The classes don't do anything useful yet and don't even contain all the
> specified methods.

Might be better to find some other reference to point people at. This
screams it isn't finished yet, might move. I don't have a good
suggestion though. The java doc in OpenJDK is distributed under the GPL
though, but doesn't seem to be online yet.

Cheers,

Mark