Re: Other class libraries

2008/6/25 dalibor topic <robilad@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, such suppositions aren't worth much in legal terms (and
>> let's get the obvious IANAL disclaimer in here before I say any more).
>>  As we discussed a little on IRC earlier today, it's actually quite a
>> ridiculous situation that GNU Classpath and OpenJDK are just about
>> under the same license, but because of that 'or later' clause, they
>> are incompatible.  Ideally, we would have imported a lot of OpenJDK
>> code into GNU Classpath when it was released.  Filling the holes in
>> GCJ, for example, with Sun code would probably be a faster method of
>> getting a TCK-passing implementation on non-x86/x86_64 platforms,
>> assuming that such a combination counts as 'sufficiently derived'.  In
>> an ideal world, both would be under GPLv3 and we'd share code between
>> the two as intended.  On the other side, I've not seen as much code as
>> I'd expect (like the AWT peers) move into OpenJDK either, but I think
>> this is less legal and more process related.
>>
>> Dalibor, could you give us something from Sun's side on this issue?
>>

> I'm not sure on which one:
>
> * whether combining a GPLd VM with OpenJDK class library would be
> sufficiently derived
> as far ar the OCTLA goes?
>
> Yes, please see the GB minutes
> http://openjdk.java.net/groups/gb/2007-08-23.html#license-eligibility .

Well I suppose the question is more 'how much OpenJDK is needed to be
substantially derived?'  I suspect just having something like jaxws +
cacao + classpath is not enough
for example, while jaxws + hotspot + classpath would be.

Is the TCK license available for general consumption yet?
I'm slightly less perturbed by aph telling me that you do actually get
source code.  The fact
that a myth to the contrary could permeate to me just shows the
problems with such NDA stuff... ;)

> * whether GPLv2 + Classpath exception and GPLv2 or later + Classpath
> exception are incompatible?
>
> IANAL, but I'd say quite clearly no, they are compatible as you can pick v2
> regardless of what later later versions say in classpath's case.

This was mjw's interpretation, but I think, as pointed out here and in
other threads, that it's
more a policy-level issue (FSF/Sun) and I didn't comprehend that we
need GPLv3+exception
not GPLv3 for some reason.

> * whether classpath or openjdk will be under GPLv3?
>
> It's always hard to predict the future, but I guess a lot of that will
> depend on the ongoing work the FSF is doing to unify the exception language
> around gcc, when it is ready for public review, and how it turns out - don't
> understimate the scope of that work, it's been going on for a long time, as
> readers of the autoconf lists know. It will also depend on what the actual
> effects of the v3 version of the exceptions would be on v2 only users, or
> VMs that have v2-only dependencies. Think VM-as-Linux-kernel-module
> scenarios, or Kaffe.

Solaris should clearly just go GPLv3 and we should all switch to that,
if Linux is going to stick with GPLv2 ;)

> * whether FSF will accept GPLv2+Classpath exception code from openjdk into
> classpath?
>
> Hard to say. I'm not quite sure what we'd gain from duplicating the same
> code in several places though - if we want to turn classpath into an icedtea
> like wrapper around bits and pieces from openjdk, we can do that without
> copying and pasting openjdk code over into another repository (we've got
> enough third party code in classpath as it is, imho). if there are bits from
> openjdk that make sense to depend on as a 'source plug' for classpath, then
> we could go the icepick route, for example, and wrap them up accordingly.

I wasn't thinking of duplicating or trashing code.  More just of
plugging the vast
holes that I don't think there are sufficient people working on
Classpath to fill
any more e.g. jaxws as mentioned above.

> * whether gcj will lose its own copy of classpath and be able to use an
> installed one or an alternative class library?
>
> Hard to say. But it's basically the pragmatic reason why openjdk code hasn't
> flown into classpath: it wouldn't look very good to have gplv2 only code in
> a gplv3 gcc/gcj. That's a policy decision forced by the current architecture
> of gcj - if the tight coupling between the class library and gcj was removed
> (see JamVM, Cacao, etc.), that particular dilemma would not present itself
> as such.

This is actually something I'd be interested in looking at, if only I
had the time.

>> I hope we can come to a decent resolution on this, but I think the
>> issue does need to be discussed openly and as soon as possible.
>
> I don't really see a pressing need to discuss classpath's licensing while
> the FSF is working on an update of the license, which will hopefully be
> available for (public) review soon.

Well this thread pretty much satisfies me.  I think we just need to
make these issues,
that have been mentioned occasionally and vaguely, on IRC clear and
out in the open.

> cheers,
> dalibor topic

Cheers,
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8